On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:51:57 +1000, Russell Coker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Saturday 18 June 2005 01:07, Pierre Habouzit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I perfectly understand what SMTP is, and I perfectly *don't*
>> understand why having a 30 minutes delay or even a 2 or 3 hours
>> delay in some conditions is tolerable.

        Well, admittedly, I greylist just my mail, so this is
 different. But I don't read/answer mail  immediately anyway (unless
 you are paying my paycheck, and those don't get greylisted either),
 so people have to get used to email to me not being answered until I
 get around to reading it -- which may be days, at times.

> Why is it tolerable to receive 200 spams in a day?  On a bad day I
> will receive over 100 spams even though I use most of the anti-spam
> measures that some people in this discussion don't like.

        It is not. I get about 7-10 a week, out of a daily email
 volume of 800-1000 emails. And I used to check every mail registered
 as Spam until 6 months ago, and now do random spot checks when I have
 time -- and the last false positive I had was last October.

        I don't use RBL based blocking. I do use CRM114 in conjunction
 with spamassassin witrh bayes,  and I use greylisting on messages
 likely to be Spam.

        CRM114 did need a while to get trained right, though. But one
 does not need to accept swaths of collateral damage in order to
 reduce Spam volumes, in my experience.

        manoj
--
I waited and waited, and when nobody called, I knew it was from you.
Manoj Srivastava   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>