* Ritesh Raj Sarraf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [060320 22:14]:
> RHEL and SLES do a damn good job of Hardware Bug Fixing and Feature
> Enhancement for the software they ship.
>
> Why can't we do it ? Is it just because our policy doesn't allow it ?
> Can't we revise the policy ?

Of course policies can be revisited. Stable could also be abolished
and only unstable be shipped, if that gets decided.

Fixes to stable releases are always tricky as they are supposed to
be stable. Important bugs fixes are always a good goal, but they
always have to be balanced against possible unintended damages
any change can have. I haven't looked at this case, but in the
general case possibly suddenly no longer supporting something
that was supported before in that stable release is much worse
than not adding support for new cases, as things that worked
are likely to be in production new, things that did not work
are annoying and sad, but only annoying and not hurting people
relying on a something advertised as stable keeping stable.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link