On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:41:04PM +1000, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> The GPL states that you can freely link with libraries normally
> shipped with your OS or compiler, so I would think this would include
> the C library.

Unfortunately, it does not apply if the thing you ship is also part of
that same "OS or compiler". Which is the case for dpkg (unless you're
not doing Debian, which I understand you are).

This could be fixed if you get "a special exception" from the
maintainer of every program you try to link with your libc, but I
suspect it's going to be easier to either port glibc to solaris, or get
Sun to relicense their code under something that is GPL-compatible.

--
Fun will now commence