On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 12:53:57PM +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:

> | > The same problem is with Office programs:
> | >
> | >   lyx
> | >   abiword
> | >   oowriter
> | >
> | > The /etc/alternatives contains a good framework to canonicalize actions to
> | > common names available in system and to control the preferred program.

I think you're not very clear in what you're asking, so I'm going
to try and explain what I think you said.

If you open a file in a file browser, or you open it thru a web
browser or something, it might have a mime type assosiated with
it.  So what I think you suggest is that based on the mime-type
we start an application that should be able to handle that
mime-type.

I'm not sure if the alternatives system is the best place to
"register" mime types.  I'm also not sure that a Debian specific
solution as the alternatives system is the best way to go.  But I
can see why this would be useful, and maybe it should work in
combination with the alternatives system.

I hope I understood your suggestion.

Kurt