On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:40:15AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 mars 2007 à 20:10 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez a écrit :
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:52:24AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > >
> > > This is true for the initial report. But you also gain something
> > > bugzilla has and reportbug doesn't: you can crawl on the website, find
> > > an interesting bug, and direclty add some comments.
> > >
> > I don't see how this is anything that can't be done (better) currently.
>
> Just try Bugzilla. Really. It has some major issues, but it is also
> considerably more advanced than debbugs in several domains.

Yes, I have used buzilla to submit bugs to the Linux Kernel, Apache and
for a few internal projects where people preferred it.  It sucks.  It is
far too complex.

> The simple fact that anyone having submitted a comment to a bug is
> automatically added to the CC list for later comments is something that
> should be trivial to implement. Instead, we have a bloated and useless
> subscription scheme.

How is it stupid.  I submit comments to *lots* of bugs where I have *no*
interest in seeing the rest of the traffic for.  If I had to unsubscribe
every time I made a comment on a bug, I'd get annoyed.  I hate to think
how vorlon would feel.  He probably comments on sever dozen unique bugs
a week.

> Separation between products and components is also something that we
> should have given how packages are currently managed. Instead of
> products and components, we would talk about teams and packages, but the
> concept is the same.
>
> I'm not saying that we should switch to bugzilla - it doesn't fit our
> needs. The version tracking in the BTS was also a major breakthrough
> that is still unique AFAIK. But the state of denial we are in, saying
> that our software can't be improved because it is better than everything
> else on all matters, is something that must stop.

I'm not saying that it is better on all matters and that it can't be
improved.  What I am saying is that I don't see how slapping a web
interface on debbugs is going to get us any closer to "better" than
where we are now.

Regards,

-Roberto

--