On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:34:06 +0200, Bastian Venthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:50:15 +0200, Bastian Venthur
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>> Or, if you prefer a GUI application with out of the box support for
>>> most mail clients, try reportbug-ng.
>>
>> My major problem with reportbug-ng was that is is very hard to
>> configure -- at least, I could not get it to use my preferred MUA; it
>> has a limited selection of what it considers acceptable user agents,

> Why do you think I consider some mail clients "unacceptable"? In fact
> I try to include as much mail clients as possible. I just need to know
> them.

        My mail client is a script, ~/bin/mail-handler; which, I think,
 is not permissible  in reportbug-ng.  In other words, the user can not
 configure the reporter; they can ask the author to add in some standard
 mail clients; but not the non-standard ones.

>> and if you are not using it, then you are out of luck.

> That's not true. As I already told you, all you have to do is to send
> me a valid call of your mail client where the composer opens with to-,
> subject- and body prefilled.

        But this is not configuration; and the lack of configurability
 is what I complained about.  I can't tell reportbug-ng about my one off
 simple little script that does some stuff and sends mail out.

        What you are talking about is your willingness to add in any of
 thousands of mail clients that users might request (which, BTW, might
 not scale all that well if reportbug-ng gets popular and all kinds of
 people start sending in strange requests, and then later, other people
 send in bug reports about how the behaviour of all the gazillion mail
 clients has changed subtly and broken the bug reporting software).

> Most mail clients I know support either
>   foo-mua mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&body=foobody
> or
>   foo-mua -to [EMAIL PROTECTED] -subject foosubject -body foobody

> Send me the name of your mail client you're missing and a working call
> and I'll include it.

        ~/bin/mail-handler --subject 'foosubject' --to 'tosomeone' < body

        I can also handle the old BSD 4.4 Lite mail programs command
 line syntax. What if the location changes? Or I change the syntax of my
 mailing script (to, say, do some security related stuff [like passing
 the mail through a guard program t redact sensitive material])?

        manoj
--
"Those who believe in astrology are living in houses with foundations of
Silly Putty."- Dennis Rawlins, astronomer