"Tim Hull" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That said, there is a significant issue that I see with Debian and most
> distributions in general that I wanted to bring up.  The issue is that
> once a stable release is declared stable, that's it - there are no
> updates except for security holes.  This is good, except when you need a
> feature included in a newer version of software included in Debian (for
> example, if a newer kernel has a non-security bugfix in it that you
> need). Yes, you can compile from source (or, in some cases, use
> unofficial packages) but that is far from ideal.

> What I am wondering is - has there been any effort and/or interest in
> working on this area?  I know about debian-volitaile, but that seems
> oriented towards a very specific set of packages (like antivirus
> programs), and not, for example, bugfixes.

Are you aware of backports.org?  I use it extensively for cherry-picking
specific packages where I need a newer version for feature reasons while
keeping the rest of the system running stable.  That means there's only a
few packages I have to pay special attention to for security
vulnerabilities.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>