On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 05:43:27PM -0600, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
> On Sunday 12 August 2007 13:35:02 Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Reinhard Tartler [Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:27:50 +0200]:

> > > I think the best you can do is to write a check for that specific
> > > architecture in the package's preinst script, and abort the
> > > installation if it is being installed on that 'blacklisted'
> > > architecture.

> > Uuh, that doesn't sound right. The correct thing to do would be to
> > ensure the package does not build on the broken architectures, and
> > remove the binaries from unstable.

> Won't this then prevent the package from migrating to testing, because it's
> arch: any, but failing to build on a release arch?

"and remove the binaries from unstable."  The criterion for migration to
testing is *not*, and never has been, that the package build on
architectures; the criterion is that the package must not have any
out-of-date binaries in unstable, which can be dealt with by 1) making sure
the package builds on all architectures, 2) getting the ftp team to agree to
remove the out-of-date binaries, or 3) ensuring in advance that the package
never gets built on architectures where it doesn't belong.

This is a proxy for the requirement that packages be supported "on as many
architectures as is reasonably possible."  If the package is not supported
on a given architecture, the binaries of that package for the architecture
in question should not be in the archive (and particularly, not in testing),
but it is *not* the role of the testing migration scripts to make decisions
about whether a package is supported for an architecture, only to ensure
consistency between architectures.  The decision of whether a package is
supported is one that has to be made by the package maintainer and the
porters.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/