On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > IMHO we should declare a quarantine of a minimum of 6 months on every new
> > libdb upstream, and only package it *if* openldap (*the* heavy-duty user of
> > libdb advanced features) and cyrus imap (*the* thousands-of-concurrent-
> > locks, mmap-happy user of libdb) did not have problems with it.
>
> That's equivalent to an indefinite quarantine; according to BDB upstream,
> OpenLDAP's problems with various versions are a consequence of abusing the
> interface, not of using "advanced features".  I'm not sure why the burden
> here should be on BDB alone.

That's news to me. Thanks for sharing.  Well, Cyrus at least does not abuse
*any* interfaces (unless having thousands of processes in a busy site
accessing the same BDB is abusing it :p), but it is not nearly as good as
openldap at triggering BDB bugs.

One thing that BDB upstream *could* do is to publish a *complete* API
changelog.  That would fix the issues for Cyrus, at least.  One fine-comb
over the API changelog and the Cyrus code, and you would be ready to support
a new BDB version...

  Henrique Holschuh