Package: general
Severity: normal

As users of Gnome should know, in order to enable Gnome System sounds (login
sound, logout sound, gdm ready sound, click on command sound etc..) it is
necessary to go to Preferences->Sound and
enable sounds by software (ESD), and mark for play System sounds, and also have
gnome-audio installed.
The problem is that when i enable ESD, many other aplications stop sounding,
and if i try to play a WAV file with aplay command, it reports to me that my
audio device is busy. This is my audio
device:

00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 06)

I think this is a bug of Debian becouse this problem is not present in other
Linux distributions with Gnome in which ESD and aplay work together, and by
this i know that my sound card support
full duplex and can be used by both of them at the same time; in addiction in
old releases of Debian, i am sure that this problem was not present.

This problem is now pressent in Etch, Lenny and Sid.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-3-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=es_ES.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=es_ES.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash