On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 06:58:09PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > So you "vote" for an exemption from FSH in this case, as per 9.1.1?

> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM

> "Therefore, no program should rely on a specific subdirectory structure
> of /srv existing or data necessarily being stored in /srv.

> [...]

> Distributions must take care not to remove locally placed files in these
> directories without administrator permission."

> I don't think there's any excemption needed.  The FHS already makes it
> essentially impossible for distributors to place anything under /srv.
> Not putting anything there means it's a fairly daft idea to have a
> webroot pointing there and expect anything to work out of the box.

I think it's perfectly in keeping with other parts of policy to ship our
webservers with /srv/www as the default webroot, and leave it up to the
administrator to symlink web applications into that root to enable them (or
change the web root, or use aliases, etc).  In particular, Policy 11.5.4
says that web applications should avoid storing files in the web document
root if possible.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]