Le Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 07:36:27PM -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:41:14PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Le Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 01:42:04PM +0000, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :
> > > Hi Maintainer,
>
> > > rejected, i think we are missing the source for the pdf in doc/.
>
> > Almost two monthes of waiting to read this…
>
> What was the license on the PDF in question, and was the license documented
> in debian/copyright?

Hi Steve (and Cyril),

the package was rejected because of missing source, not for license issues.
Nevertheless, if you are curious about what debian/copyright contained, here is
the relevant extract:

Files: doc/phyml_manual.pdf, debian/phyml_manual.tar.gz.uu
Copyright: © Copyright 1999 - 2008 by PhyML Development Team
License: formerly free for academic only, but relicenced on the upstream
website.
 The software PhyML is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind. In no
event shall
 the authors or his employer be held responsible for any damage resulting from
the use of
 this software, including but not limited to the frustration that you may
experience in using
 the package. The program package and this documentation, are distributed free
of charge
 for academic use only. Permission is granted to copy and use programs in the
package
 provided no fee is charged for it and provided that this copyright notice is
not removed.
 relicenced and an updated version was published on the upstream web site with
 the following the new disclaimer:
 .
  The software PhyML is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind. In no
event shall
  the authors or his employer be held responsible for any damage resulting from
the use
  of this software, including but not limited to the frustration that you may
experience in
  using the package.
 .
 This relicencing also affects the version shipped in this package, and the
 documentation will be updated with the next upstream release of PhyML.

Since there is no licence but only a disclaimer, I conclude that the PDF file
is licenced under the same terms of the rest of phyml, namely the GNU GPL.

If, in a package that has a general license statement, there are files for
which an explicit reminder of the statement is strictly required to prove their
freedom, then I would like to see it documented somewhere.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,