Ben Finney schrieb:
> Raphael Hertzog <hert...@debian.org> writes:

>> There's a default value currently and it's "1.0", and I want to remove
>> the existence of a default value in the long term because it does not
>> make sense to have a default value corresponding to a source format
>> that is no longer recommended.
>
> That's the part I don't see a reason for. Any future formats will be
> unambiguously distinguishable. Those format-undeclared source packages
> can't be eradicated from the earth entirely. So why not simply declare
> that they are source format 1.0, as is without changes, and will always
> be recognised as such even *after* that format is utterly deprecated?

What you describe is actually really a "default to 1.0" behaviour.

And though I dislike the way lintian warned about a missing
debian/source/format file, I understand quite well why the dpkg
maintainer would like to remove that default: 1.0 in ambiguous in many
ways (for example in changing silently to native package format if the
orig.tar.gz is missing)..

I'm not going to convert my few packages to a 3.0 format any time soon
if it doesn't prove to be beneficial for me, but I will add an explicit
"1.0" format specification to those packages I upload in the meantime.

My main reason for not yet switching is that hg-buildpackage and
svn-buildpackage don't completely support the 3.0 format yet as far as I
can tell.

Anyhow, I would really welcome if dpkg-source would support some
additional values in debian/source/format:

1.0 (native)
1.0 (non-native)
default (native)
default (non-native)

Which would allow me to explicitly follow the current recommendation of
the dpkg maintainers (last two) or explicitly state that my package is
format 1.0 of either flavour.

Regards,
Sven