[CC'ing Hans-Christoph in case he isn't following this list]

On 12-05-16 at 02:47pm, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Joey Hess <jo...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Adam Borowski wrote:
> >> Could you please mention which ones do not?  And if so, how are
> >> they relevant/are they fixable?
> >
> > As one of the maintainers of debootstrap, I am perhaps more aware
> > than some how broadly it's used. Ok..
> >
> > They use it on Android (41,600 hits including
> > http://evilzone.org/android/debian-on-android/)
> > They use it on Nokia (96,600 hits)
> > They use it on Nook (14,000 hits)
> > They use it on headless old Red Hat systems in a datacenter
> > somewhere
> > They use it on Debian oldstable systems, where xz-utils is not even
> > packaged.
> > They use it on absolutely modern peices of unusual kit that ship
> > with some crufty busybox binary (no source naturally) from far up
> > the supplier chain, that was built well before xz support entered
> > busybox in 2010.
>
> How are they relevant? Where do they download and unpack udebs? Where
> is busybox used to unpack debs?

Perhaps this example is relevant:
http://guardianproject.info/code/lildebi/

@Hans-Christoph: Does that project use a debootstrap without xz support,
and would its tricks break if Debian was to switch to compress its
binary packages with xz instead of gzip?

 - Jonas