On 23/09/2012 17:49, Joachim Breitner wrote:
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 23.09.2012, 15:59 +0200 schrieb Joerg Jaspert:
The DM flag (and in future ACL) shows that one trusts that one DM
to do a good job on that one package. Extending it like "this DM
may upload all packages of [whateverbiglist]" is just wrong.

(Of course this is just convenience and can already be achieved
by a small script that generates the list of packages.)

Yeah, but please don't. Sillyness like "all of our team packages
are always for all DMs of us" is really working against the
system, IMO. If you want people to have upload rights for such
large sets, make them DD. DM is for people interested in small(er)
style maintenance.

I wouldn’t say it is plain wrong; there are certainly exceptions. All
(library )packages by the DHG have identical packaging issues – if
someone is able to do a good job on one of them, he is able to do a
good job of all of them. Also, the real time-consuming work for us is
when we need to upload all>450 packages with no source change, or a
trivial one. I am certainly looking forward to distribute the load
not only on the DDs but also on the DMs.

FWIW, I also think it is the wrong approach for the following reason:
The DM status (as I understand it) wasn't created to easily give people
upload rights. It is used to give upload rights for people that don't
want to become DD (for some reason) but yet want to contribute/maintain
a small set of packages ; or for people waiting to become DD.

If some person has a need to upload 450 packages, then that person
should become DD. Your idea simply abuses the DM status.

My 2 cents,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي