On Fri, 31 May 2013 08:41:56 +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq
<jcduba...@free.fr> wrote:
>Le 30/05/2013 18:29, Marc Haber a écrit :
>> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:02 +0200, Olav Vitters <o...@vitters.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> Seems the solutions are very focussed on the assumption that things
>>> cannot be changed. E.g. programs currently send email, so email it has
>>> to be forever.
>>
>> It is not a good idea to drop the way that > 90 % of programs use to
>> deliver messages. I really hate the idea of having a thing as fragile
>> as dbus on a server just to collect status messages.
>
>73.6% of all statistics are made up.

You have a point here. I shold have written the vast majority.

>The way most programs deliver messages is actually syslog.

Which is an epic nightmare to parse automatically if one needs to put
messages in relation to each other and is only readable if all
messages are shorter than, say, 160 characters. Even firewall log
messages are way longer than that already.

> The most
>important of them being the kernel. We've been over it several times. As
>far as I know, the kernel does not send emails.

The kernel does not use syslog as well. It just dumps the messages
into a ring buffer and relies on some user space software to process
those in time. If that user space software fails, messages are
eventually overwritten and lost.

>A utility to scan syslog and convey important information to the user
>would be much more useful than configuring all mailers in Debian to read
>root's local mail by default.

Alas, I would really love to have such an utility, I would even
participate in crowdfunding such an utiltiy, but it does not exist
yet. MTAs and MUAs exist and work.

Greetings
Marc