previously on this list Peter Palfrader contributed:

> > I would really like to standardize on some prefix.
>
> > I like _ as a prefix because adduser doesn't allow the local sysadmin to
> > create accounts with that prefix without special flags, which I think
> > makes it a more useful reserved namespace.
>
> Just a me too:
>
> If we could actually agree and document in policy that the _ prefix is
> the way to go that'd be great.  I'd be more than happy to rename
> debian-tor to _tor for instance.
>
> Guidance (or even code) on how to properly rename existing system users
> would be appreciated.

OpenBSD uses _ntp for ntpd and apparently all services since just
after sshd was added to base, so there is some synergy there. Apparently
it happened to ensure no namespace collision of system bundled services.

On OpenBSD I use the same syntax when adding things like my automounter
user for my hotplugd script.

So I'd agree with the underscore but see the not allowing the local
sysadmin to create accounts easily with it as a bad thing as they could
perfectly well want to avoid collisions with packages as much as a
debian dev.

It is the admins system primarily after all and purposefully getting
in the way is completely wrong in my opinion, warnings even with
relentless beeping if you must.

This is something I disagree with the stance on udev about for
removing LAST_ACTION too.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)