Here's a challenge then: Implement everything the journal does, without
using a binary format, and show us it's not only doable, but performs
similarly.

I would first recommend you read up - and try! - what the journal has to
offer. It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Given that Debian transitions to systemd - it seems an option to me. )

But first I'll try to disable it completely, of course. IMHO it's also a suitable solution.

I understand there's more functionality than you can build up only using regexes. The point is - I don't understand why an INIT SYSTEM (!!!!!) should depend on these, generally non-trivial, features.

--
With best regards,
  Vitaliy Filippov