On 02/11/2014 06:30 PM, Vitaliy Filippov wrote:
> I understand there's more functionality than you can build up only using
> regexes. The point is - I don't understand why an INIT SYSTEM (!!!!!)
> should depend on these, generally non-trivial, features.

Because the tasks of init and syslog are very closely tied together.
Init is responsible for starting all processes and managing them
while syslog is responsible for logging all process activity.

And since the init daemon is the parent of every other process
running on your system, it can - with the help of cgroups - track
every single activity of every process and thus has lots of
information that syslog has never any access to on its own.

systemd knows which process has which PID and when it was started
and with the help of the journal, it's very easy to find this
information. systemd virtually sets itself in front of all
standard communication channels of a process and tracks
what's going on. systemd knows exactly which log messages belong
to which process and can pass all this information to the
journal. It is able to prioritize log messages and have
this information accessible through the journal.

With syslog, you just have all processes using the log randomly
write into a large log file in a non-standardized format where
as systemd enforces a format and therefore allows you to easily
find what you are looking for.

If you want to know, what Apache errors occurred during the last
week, you issue one specific journalctl command and get the
information you need within the blink of an eye.

With syslog, you have to open your syslog file and start grepping
around hoping you remember the correct error strings you have
to be looking for to find any errors within the past week.

So, while the journal introduces a binary format and makes
logging part of PID1, it actually gives you a very powerful tool
at hand which allows you to get any information about the
state about any services and processes on your machine at a
glance. And this is what matters to most users, not the fact
whether it's part of PID1 or not.

And, as it has been reiterated several times, if you still want
a classic syslog, you can simply install and use it. There is
nothing in systemd that will keep you from doing so.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org