(admitedly, d-d is not the right place.....I make the promise I won't
steal the list for too long but, hey, this thread has already been
useful to at least one person, so let's try to make it even mor euseful)

Quoting John Paul Adrian Glaubitz (glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de):
> On 02/15/2014 09:22 AM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > So, before doing so: will that be helpful?
>
> I think most people simply don't configure PulseAudio correctly. They
> have the assumption that sound cards are still simple devices with
> one input jack and one output jack and any application using it just
> has to find the sound card and output its audio signal.

I'm one of these people. I indeed don't remember installing pulseaudio
voluntarily. It probably came out as a Recommends from something else
(my system runs unstable, with KDE as DE and hasn't been reinstalled
since.....well, maybe woody? :-)))

> So, in order to be able to properly configure PulseAudio, install
> "pavucontrol" or use the sound preferences in GNOME3 or MATE (with
> the package mate-media-pulse being installed).

IIRC, using the KDE sound preferences, I was not "seeing" any sound
card *at all*...until I removed Pulseaudio. I can for sure try
reinstalling the package again and check what happens, with some
guidance, for sure.

> When using MATE, make sure you are actually the PulseAudio control
> panel, not the old ALSA-type one, those are not the same.

Indeed, no idea if the standard KDE sound control thingie is one of
these things, indeed and "old" one or a "new" one...;-)

(I'm very good at playing the dumb user....I have plenty of those at work)

By the way: thanks for your detailed answer. I'm sure that will be
helpful and maybe not only for me....even if we're quickly running OT here...