previously on this list John Paul Adrian Glaubitz contributed:

> The problem is that many people who complain about PulseAudio issues
> are often prejudiced about it in the first place such that they aren't
> actually interested in having the problem fixed but rather just want
> to get rid of it and uninstall it. Trying to debug the problem in such
> cases is very difficult.
>
> > And to the extent that Debian users are unhappy with pulseaudio as a
> > default, it's because others have been trying to blame the user for the
> > problems instead of constructively engaging to *fix* pulseaudio.
>
> I think the reservations are mutual. If your attention as a user is
> "I'm too lazy to take a second to look into how PulseAudio actually
> works and what box I have to check.", you can't expect us on the
> other side to be happy to help as well.

What's that phrase about assumption again? ;-)

I'm sure Salvo has, but it is worth checking the PCM in the mixer as
it kept being set occasionally to 0 for me on multiple mythbuntu boxes.

Though if you don't need the features and don't have the time to set up
jackd then why not remove. I assume pulseaudio as the default has some
ease of use advantage or feature though as I know jackd is better for
pro audio.

It hasn't happened since I removed pulseaudio but I did that because it
wanted polkit or dbus system-services and without polkit permissions or
dbus system-services enabled sound didn't work anyway. I was rather glad
when I found adding myself to the audio group meant I got Alsa audio
back. Not sure why the audio group was empty by default, surely it
should fall back to Alsa?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)