On 25/04/14 02:16, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:

> I don't think that we should go and do the tedious work of repack
> thousands of
> packages because of this, with no real benefit in terms of freedom (or
> any
> other) for our users -- provided that we depend and link to the canonical
> versions in the binary packages.

That is exactly why there is a GSoC project this year that involves
pro-actively and automatically creating repackaged upstream tarballs -
the focus is on Java, but some of these solutions can be generalized

http://danielpocock.com/automatically-creating-repackaged-upstream-tarballs-for-debian

so that DDs can just grab a clean tarball to work with whenever they
need to, automatically see a summary of new or changed non-free files
between upstream tags, etc

There is no doubt in my mind that if the rules are not strict then
sooner or later somebody will sneak something bad into some minified
Javascript - maybe it will happen upstream and the DD won't even be
aware of it.