On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 06:38:15PM -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I would like to solicit the opinion of the developers about the
>  value of adding Guile support to the default make package, at the
>  expense of two smallish additional dependencies.
>  http://blog.melski.net/2013/11/29/whats-new-in-gnu-make-4-0/ has a
>  write up on what guile support would bring.

I would just add guile support to the normal package.

A few more libraries in the build-depends will not make as much harm
as a lot of people trying to guess why Debian make does not support
guile and why they have to install another different binary.

IMHO, the bootstrapping thing is a problem to be solved by build
stages, not by trimming functionality or by multiplying the number of
binary packages. The gettext package, for example, has a long build-depends
line, and I don't think that would be a reason to make different gettext
packages.

Thanks.