Thibaut Paumard <thib...@debian.org> writes:

> Le 15/05/2014 10:55, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
>> You do realise we have one libc (sure, you can install *additional*
>> ones, but we have one libc the archive is compiled against), we have one
>> package manager (you can, of course, install rpm too, it is packaged!),
>> we have one "make" we use to build packages (you can try with others, at
>> your own peril, though), and we have one init system (you can install
>> anything else packaged, of course), right?
>
> If I follow your logic:
>
> "We have one desktop environment (xfce). Sure you can run GNOME, at your
> own peril."
>
> I'm not sure you wanted to reach this conclusion, but here it is.

That is a perfectly fine conclusion. If I want something else than the
default desktop, I'll make it work, and put in the effort (patches, if
need be) to make sure it is smooth for my use case. If there are others
who prefer an alternative too, and make it so that I don't have to do
anything at all, just an apt-get install gnome, so much the better!