Ian Jackson writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging
repositories"):
> I think you need to be more explicit about the implications for `3.0
> (quilt)' format packages.  Something like:
>
>    If the git tree contains debian/format specifying `3.0 (quilt)',
>    the git tree must also contain debian/patches/series and all the
>    patch files contained within it.  Furthermore, the tree should be
>    in the `patches applied' state.  (This means that every change to
>    upstream files is represented twice: once in the contents of that
>    very file in the git tree, and once as a hunk in one of the
>    debian/patches.  These two representations must be in step.)

It now seems like people are saying that patches-unapplied git trees
work with dpkg-buildpackage.  In which case the text above needs to
explicitly deal with that possibility.

What a complicated variety of different kinds of mess we have all
made.  (And I'm definitely including myself here.  dgit's .pcs, I'm
looking at you.)

Ian.