Josh Triplett <j...@joshtriplett.org> writes:
> The whole point of my metapackages is that absolutely everything
> *except* those metapackages is marked as "automatically installed".
> There's no programmatic way to distinguish between "Recommends that
> should be installed" and "Recommends that should not be installed"; that
> would be per-machine state information, which is exactly what I'm trying
> to avoid.

What is "recommends that should not be installed"? It sounds a bit
contradicting to me. Why don't you use "Suggests" for that?

> So I turn off Recommends and make sure Depends reflect the packages I
> want installed.

I think this is abusing the dependencies. The Policy has the hint that
Recommends: is for everything that is usually installed except in
special situations. Why would one turn them off by default???
(... except for special situations)

> I suppose in theory I could turn Recommends back on and then add
> Conflicts in my metapackages for the Recommends that shouldn't be
> installed, but a quick check on my current system shows hundreds of
> uninstalled packages on my system that are Recommends of installed
> packages.  That's more packages than I currently have in the Depends of
> my metapackages; maintaining that doesn't seem practical.

At least, I don't get this. Can you make an example here?

Best regards

Ole