Hi,

On 01.01.2016 12:23, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> Is there any use case that requires supporting unmerged systems?

Booting without an initrd, which is important for resource-constrained
embedded systems.

I have a system that boots in three seconds, which is fairly long
already. Adding an initrd would extend that to five seconds and require
a twenty minute rebuild of the initrd on upgrade.

Using an initrd would also add new failure modes where the initrd build
fails because of memory constraints (e.g. because an application process
is stuck in D state and did not terminate when we entered the "system
update" runlevel).

> It's simpler to support just merged-/usr and avoids the problem that
> sometimes a binary will be in both /bin and /usr/bin (with merged-/usr)
> and sometimes only in one location.  That sounds like a source of bugs
> that have a good potential to be found only too late...

I agree that it should be a bug to have binaries with the same name in
both locations.

   Simon