On Jan 01, Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Someone has already mentioned mounting /usr ro.  But one generally has
> to keep /etc rw.  I don't think that the right way to address this is
> to make /etc a mount point.
I am not aware of any plan to make /etc a mount point, which indeed
would pointless.
On a merged /usr system the root file system only contains /boot, /etc,
/var and /home while the OS proper is all in /usr.

> Anotheer example: I have a system which does a rather hackish NFS root
> boot.  It has its own / but uses /usr from the fileserver.  This has
> worked surprisingly well for a long time.
With a merged /usr you would be able to serve the whole OS over NFS (and
even share it among multiple systems without the constant threat of
having / and /usr diverge) and only configuration + data from the local
disk, which makes this kind of setup much more useful.

--
ciao,
Marco