Simon McVittie wrote:

Hi,

Recommendations for other software that relies on D-Bus

This recommendation applies to ordinary apps that rely on having a
session bus but are not a core part of a desktop environment, such as
the Empathy real-time communications client. These packages should rely
on the distribution and the desktop environment cooperating to ensure
that a session bus is provided.

A hard requirement for a session bus should be indicated like this:

     Depends: dbus-user-session | dbus-x11

(Open question: do we prefer d-x | d-u-s?)

A softer requirement can be indicated by a similar Recommends or Suggests.

These packages should not attempt to run dbus-launch or dbus-daemon,
except as a side-effect of using a library that supports X11
autolaunching - it is not their responsibility.

Is that really up-to the individual application to declare a dependency against dbus-user-session | dbus-x11 ?

If the package name is changing or if we are dropping dbus-x11 in the future that would require modifying again quite some packages. Shouldn't this dependency only be declared at some other level (libdbus, GDBus,...)?

my 2ยข

Laurent Bigonville