On 10/30/2016 06:28 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 02:24:20PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>>
>>> we should have some way to query if anybody would object to a package's
>>> removal?
>>
>> We definitely need better ways to connect with package users, but it
>> might be hard to do that in a privacy preserving way. Perhaps
>> something similar to popcon, but in reverse could help there. A
>> web/onion service where users can download details of packages that
>> might need user attention, along with an opt-in client that
>> periodically downloads the current list and matches it against user
>> preferences and installed packages.
>
> Here's an idea: what about a new type of WNPP bug, "Intent-To-Remove"?
> An user interested in future releases is usually a contributor of sorts,
> thus often has "devscripts" installed. [....]

I think people who contribute to Debian in some way would notice at
least RC bugs on the packages that are important for them. Finding a way
to collect information from the Debian users who have no clue about
development is the important part in my opinion. And then we still have
to distinguish between 'the package is active in use' and 'the package
was installed and I have no idea why'....