On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 02:17:40AM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:

> Yes, Debian is a community like another, and a community is build
> with shared principles. Design isn't principle, it is just a shameful
> exploitation of the idea of beauty, serving a precise purpose which
> is not a shared principle. Wanting to do the number is not and should
> never be a goal of Debian.
>
> Debian say claim to be "The universal operating system". It should not be
> understood that it is used by everyone but that is generalist
> and at the service of all.
>
> Design and advertising are one and the same, manipulating the mind through
> the image to obtain consent. We are stuck in this rotten atmosphere since
> the interwar period.

Much longer than that!  See "beauty" "deception" "kalon" vs "kallos"
in Plato's writing.  While some people use beauty to lie and cheat and
bend both truth and understanding, this is not always the case.
Something that is beautiful can be admirable and true.

If Debian's structure is all of these things, then shouldn't also be
its artwork and design?  Even website design...  Isn't this the point
of the Fibonacci logo?

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋