❦  1 janvier 2018 17:47 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard <jo...@jones.dk> :

>> I have very little time for Debian. Each time I update a package, I have
>> to bump Standards-Version and fix new Lintian warnings. I would
>> appreciate if we would assess the time developers will take to update
>> packages because of a change.
>
> Only if you additionally have time to read the updated Debian Policy and
> ensure that the package complies with that newer version, should you
> bump Standards-Version.
>
> (possibly that's what you meant)

I read d-d-a@ where the policy changes are announced. Most of the time, I
feel unconcerned as I don't remember anything particular.

> Purpose of the Standards-Version field is *not* to keep you busy
> silencing corresponding lintian warning, but to state which version of
> Debian Policy the package is verified to comply with.

And why is it useful to know something like that? If we don't comply
with the latest policy, this is considered a serious bug. We would spare
a lot of developer time by not using this field anymore.
--
Replace repetitive expressions by calls to a common function.