Jérémy Lal <kapo...@melix.org> writes:

> About sparing time, having to maintain
> debian/compat
> Build-Depends debhelper
> Standards-Version
> is overkill. Sure, i suppose there are times it's useful to be decoupled,
> but wouldn't it be simpler to couple debhelper dependency to
> Standards-Version ?

They're not very linked -- the debhelper compatibility level has a few
things related to Policy compliance, but it's mostly about the interface
to debhelper itself and changes in that.  (What add-ons are run by
default, for instance.)  The type of changes the package requires are
different in my experience.

Now, debian/compat and the versioned build dependency on debhelper are
indeed duplicates in almost all cases.  It's hard to generate the build
dependency from debian/compat (templating control at the source package
level is fraught with peril), but I do wonder if it would make sense for
debhelper to read debian/control and assume a compat level matching the
lower bound on the debhelper dependency if no debian/compat exists.  (But
maybe this would be too magical?)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>