On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 23:03:17 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> The first question should always be if/how we can provide something that
> is better than what is already available elsewhere.

An answer to that question might often be: "because it integrates
into a Debian system". -- This is also an answer to the proposal
raised here some days ago about not being shy to promote third-party
repositories; no objections from me in general, just the remark that
most third-party .debs I've seen are of abysmal quality. So even if
we can't provide a true real-debian all-DFSG-free
non-embedded-code-copies etc. package in main, I think offering a
.deb (or .vdeb or flatpak or whatever) in the spirit of contrib/non-free
aka DFSG#5 would be a valuable service to users, as we can offer
packagees that Just Work™ (as in: don't install files into absurd
locations, don't require crazy manual update steps with scripts
placed SomeWhere etc.)

> The worst case would be if we have to tell more frequently to users
> "Please don't use the packages in our stable release." because they
> are worse than alternatives.

We might need an archive area which is independent of our release
suites. I guess there's lots of software out there which doesn't
align with our release cycle, fixes bugs only in "latest release"
etc. -- but still works from anything between oldstable and
unstable. While this is all a bit disgusting from our traditional
Debian point of view, users would still be better of with installing
a package from, say, "alien&weird", that works on a Debian system
over having to fight with creative upstream packaging attempts or
manual installations&updates.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe