On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 10:52:04AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I agree with this option split, but that reminds me of a different
> procedural note.
>
> While I recognize and respect the desire to create a comprehensive ballot,
> I'm still going to advocate for proposing a GR only with the options that
> the person proposing the GR would vote above NOTA, and possibly only your
> preferred options.
>
> There are a couple of reasons for this.  One is that the people who prefer
> your disfavored options may have their own way of wording them that's
> slightly different than what you might believe they would want to say, and
> it's awkward to update other people's ballot options.  The other, somewhat
> more technical reason is that I expect this GR to require a 3:1 majority
> for some options, and mixing 3:1 and 1:1 majority options on the same GR
> can be rather confusing.  We may end up needing to do that anyway for this
> vote, but I think it would be a good idea to avoid creating the problem
> unless someone steps forward and proposes a 1:1 option that they really
> want to win.
>
> (That said, I think there's a big exception, which is that if you've
> canvassed a bunch of people who may not want to try to craft their own
> ballot options, and developed options to reflect their views, I think
> that's a fine approach and a good reason to propose options that aren't
> your personal preference.)
>
> As a side note, I don't remember exactly how this worked before, but under
> the current constitutional rules the original GR proposer doesn't have a
> special ability to put a bunch of options on the original ballot.  You
> start with one option, and then you can add more options but they all need
> to be sponsored independently.  So that also pushes in this direction of
> ballot construction.

would it make sense to document this (and more) somewhere as
'guidelines for writting good GR ballots' or some such? I'd guess
the wiki would be a good starting point or maybe somewhere else?
does this exist already

--
cheers,
        Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

The entire society has no clue what the word freedom means in the context of
relating to the world around them. It has degenerated into "my ego first". It
is why the entire planet is dying right now.