I am the upstream maintainer of libpaper (which used to be a pure-Debian
project), and also a Debian Maintainer trying to get a new version of
libpaper into Debian. (It involves an API/ABI transition, from the current
libpaper1 to libpaper2.)

Bastian Germann (b...@debian.org) is kindly helping with the packaging and
sponsoring my upload.

I just got a rejection for libpaper_2.0.3-1 from ftp-master (in this case,
Thorsten Alteholz), who said "I didn't find any explanation why you
embedded a copy of gnulib in your source tarball. Do you really need that?"

Like many GNU packages, my rewrite of libpaper uses gnulib, a source
library that's effectively a polyfill for POSIX & GNU APIs, and my libpaper
releases distribute some gnulib source files as part of the release
tarball. Other Debian packages that work this way include coreutils and
grep.

Some other Debian packages build-depend on Debian's gnulib package. This
won't necessarily work for libpaper, because gnulib is not versioned:
libpaper depends on a specific commit of gnulib, and there are often bug
fixes or API changes.

Bastian asked me to build-depend on gnulib, which I have so far declined to
do, as that would make the Debian package's sources effectively different
from those that I release as upstream maintainer.

Also, a build-depend on gnulib would not directly address Thorsten's
problem with the package, as the source archive would still contain gnulib
sources (although maybe it would be OK if they weren't used?). I had a look
at a package that does build-depend on gnulib, wget2, and its source
tarball contains gnulib files.

I have searched the debian-devel archives and found a few reference s to
gnulib, but no definitive ruling about how gnulib should be treated.
Bastian rightly points out that by including gnulib sources, packages such
as coreutils cannot easily be updated for security bugs in gnulib; but to
me this seems to be a problem with gnulib itself (it's a source library,
that's how it works), rather than with the packaging of programs that use
gnulib.

Another of Bastian's suggestions is that I base the Debian package on a git
snapshot, as that does not include gnulib files; but this still has the
problem that the Debian package would not be built from a release of
libpaper.

I am a bit torn here: with my DM hat on, stripping out gnulib sources where
possible and using Debian's gnulib package seems the right thing to do.
With my upstream hat on it leads potentially to bug reports that don't
correspond to an upstream release; and further few Debian packages that use
gnulib actually seem to use this method (there are 26 build-rdeps of
gnulib).

Help? (With many thanks to the several DDs that have already helped on the
nearly 10-year journey to get libpaper updated!)

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org