On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 11:37:36AM +0000, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> How is this a problem for Debian packagers? Once software is packaged for
> Debian, it's already known to build and run.

It is known to build and run on some architectures. We are slowing down
from adding one architecture per year to one architecture every other
year. And given the long tail of problems, porters have to fix gnulib
copies for a long time. People used to say that we can ship generated
configure scripts (and some still do). Now we autoreconf by default,
because arm64 was just too painful. gnulib affects a lot less packages,
but has a similar impact otherwise.

Note that this represents a very porter-centric point of view. It is an
isolated argument in favour of not embedding gnulib ignoring many other
arguments that can be made for both sides of the equation.

And if you decide to vendor gnulib anyway, don't forget to register
yourself with the security tracker!

Helmut