James Addison wrote:
> Do we know how often the i386 installer is downloaded compared to
> amd64, and could/should we start with updated messaging where those
> are provided before removing users' ability to install on their
> systems?

How easily could we add 64-bit system detection to the i386 installer,
and a message saying something like:

"You're installing the i386 architecture on a 64-bit system. While this
will work, this is the last release it'll be supported. We recommend
installing the 64-bit amd64 architecture instead. On amd64 you can still
subsequently install i386 packages and run 32-bit binaries. Are you sure
you want to proceed with a 32-bit-only install?"

That might help reduce the number of actual installations of i386 by
people who don't realize they could be and should be using amd64.

(I realize that this is fairly late to be making *any* changes to the
installer, let alone changes that require translations. Also, if we
already have some detection like that, my apologies for missing it.)

- Josh Triplett