On Fri, 19 May 2023 at 12:42, Steve McIntyre <st...@einval.com> wrote:

> I'm planning on stopping publishing installer images for i386
> soon. Why? We should be strongly encouraging users to move away from
> it as a main architecture. If they're still installing i386 on 64-bit
> hardware, then that's a horrible mistake. If they're still running
> i386 *hardware*, then they should be replacing that hardware with more
> modern, more capable, more *efficient* stuff.

Do we know how often the i386 installer is downloaded compared to
amd64, and could/should we start with updated messaging where those
are provided before removing users' ability to install on their
systems?

(i386 remains the second-most-popular architecture behind amd64 today
going by popcon[1] stats - perhaps a lot of that is people using i386
as a compatibility architecture only, but it'd be nice to be
reasonably confident about that)

[1] - https://popcon.debian.org/