On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 11:59:00PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > > After some thought, I tend to think that adding an epoch is the right
> > > thing
> > > here.
> > >
> > > The Policy [1] says:
> > > ---
> > > Epochs can help when the upstream version numbering scheme changes, but
> > > they
> > > must be used with care. You should not change the epoch, even in
> > > experimental, without getting consensus on debian-devel first.
> > > ---
> > >
> > > With all this said: Is this a case where using a epoch is justified? If
> > > not,
> > > why?
> >
> > Adding epochs to work around 3rd-party repo version problems sounds quite
> > wrong.
> > We don't even add epochs that Ubuntu itself adds.
> >

> But this is not about third parties, it's about upstream which publishes PPA
> packages.

I don't think it matters that they are published by the upstream.
Similarly to the versions issue you are not required to guarantee smooth
upgrades from 3rd-party packages and other such things.

> I also hesitate to add an epoch, after all they are basically considered
> evil. But if we should not use them when upstream has a broken versioning we
> are about to replace, when should we use it?

When upstream had a broken versioning *that we used in Debian*.

> I have good relations with upstream, and they are willing to abandon the
> current broken versioning in favor of something sane. But the legacy is
> there, and we need to handle it.

Again, it's just questionable to me if we *need* to handle upgrades from
non-Debian packages.

--
WBR, wRAR