Chris Hofstaedtler <z...@debian.org> writes:

> "latest" is illnamed. What do you expect to find in a branch thats
> called debian/latest?

> Packaging for unstable? For experimental? What if both evolve in
> parallel? Yes, some packages do that.

We discussed this a lot during the drafting of DEP14, and the reason why
the standard allows either convention is that it depends on the package
and there were two separate perspectives with no consensus that one was
universally better.

Maintainers of some packages that upload to unstable except during
freezes, during which they temporarily move into experimental, but
consider it the same line of development, and then move back into unstable
after the release preferred debian/latest since it matched how they
thought about the line of development.  People who maintained separate
unstable and experimental lines of development preferred debian/unstable
and debian/experimental.

Personally, I use debian/unstable but do experimental development in that
same branch if it's "targeting unstable," which is either the best or
worst of both worlds, depending on your perspective.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>