Hi,
        Oh. Well, I have a local lessopen script that takes precedence
 over the /usr/bin things. I like seeing as much of the stuff as
 possible (like looking at tar files one can read the README file
 without having to untar and read and delete stuff later?)

        I do not think my particular lessopen is a godd default
 either; I woud like the default to be minimalistic with the least
 surprise principle (strings for a binarty is not least surprise)

        manoj
--
 Justice is incidental to law and order. Edgar Hoover
Manoj Srivastava  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>

#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
    *.tar.gz|*.tgz|*.tar.Z)
        tar tzvvf $1
        zcat $1
        ;;
    *.Z|*.gz)
        gunzip -c $1
        ;;
    *.bz2)
        bunzip2 -ckd $1
        ;;
    *.bz)
        bunzip -ckd $1
        ;;
    *.tar)
        tar tvf $1
        cat $1
        ;;
    *.deb)
        echo "$1:";
        dpkg --info $1;
        echo -e '\n*** Contents:';
        dpkg-deb --contents $1
        ;;
    *.zip|*.ZIP)
        if [ -x /usr/bin/unzip ]; then
            unzip -v $1;
        else
            echo "No unzip available";
        fi
        ;;
    *.arj|*.ARJ)
        if [  -x /usr/bin/unarj ]; then
            unarj -v $1;
        else
            echo "No unarj available";
        fi
        ;;
    *.gif|*.jpeg|*.jpg|*.pcd|*.png|*.tga|*.tiff|*.tif)
        if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/identify ]; then
            /usr/X11R6/bin/identify $1;
        else
            echo -e "No identify available
            echo -e Install ImageMagick to browse images";
        fi
        ;;
esac