Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Ian> I think noone, even humans, should type `echo blah > /tmp/junk'.
Ian> Make a directory named after your userid, or use your home
Ian> directory, or something.

        Right. But my machine, my rules -- and this proposal would
 change the behaviour of Debian to be very different from _any_ other
 UNIX I have been on.

        I just looked at POSIX, and I think your proposal is in
 violation of the POSIX standard, as well as the UNIX98 spec.

Ian> Insecure use of /tmp is still insecure when done by humans - even
Ian> more so, perhaps, because I might well be able to predict your
Ian> favourite filename well in advance much more easily than I could
Ian> predict the PID of a particular program invoked at some unknown
Ian> time in the future.

Ian> Also, several people who use /tmp in this way may well clash with
Ian> each other, causing untold mayhem.

        True. That is all very well. But this is a local issue. As I
 said, I like it this way on my machine. And POSIX says it should
 behave the way it has behaved before. (I shall look up exact chapter
 and verse again if you wish; I was called away on other errands and
 lost my place in the standards).

        I think we should stay away from delibrate non-compliance,
 even for laudable goals such as these. An experimental non-conformant
 libc (which I can install on a test system) is not something I shall
 object to.

        manoj
--
 The minute a man is convinced that he is interesting, he isn't.
Manoj Srivastava  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>