On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:

> I should have used https://www.debian.org/ in the original mail.
> Sorry. Everyone who can (legally) use ssl should use that URL.

Yes, this is definately the best way to enter the data right now.
Encrypted LDAP is comming in many months though.

> Additionally, I have asked for a page to be linked from
> db.debian.org to describe what those who have lost their
> password should do.

The procedure is this:

echo "Please change my Debian password" | gpg --clear-sign | mail [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

[Or the equivilent if you use pgp, what are the options for a clear
signed ascii armored message anyhow?]

You will be emailed back a new password encrypted with your PGP key.  This
password will automatically propogate to all machines except pandora,
master and va.

At some point in the future it will propogate, so don't loose it.

Here are my notes on location information and some sources to find the
data:

LAT/LONG POSITION
       There are  three possible  formats  for  giving  position
       information  and several  online  sites  that can give an
       accurate position fix based on mailing address.

       Decimal Degrees
              The format is +-DDD.DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.  This  is  the
              format programs like xearth use and the format that
              many positioning web sites use.  However  typically
              the precision is limited to 4 or 5 decimals.

       Degrees Minutes (DGM)
              The  format  is +-DDDMM.MMMMMMMMMMMMM. It is not an
              arithmetic type, but a packed representation of two
              seperate units, degrees and minutes. This output is
              common from some types of hand held GPS  units  and
              from NMEA format GPS messages.

       Degrees Minutes Seconds (DGMS)
              The  format  is +-DDDMMSS.SSSSSSSSSSS. Like DGM, it
              is not an arithmetic type but a packed  representa-
              tion  of  three seperate units, degrees minutes and
              seconds. This output is typically derived from  web
              sites  that  give 3  values for each position. For
              instance 34:50:12.24523 North might be the position
              given, in DGMS it would be +0345012.24523.

       For  Latitude  + is North, for Longitude + is East. It is
       important to specify enough leading zeros to dis-ambiguate
       the  format  that  is  being used if your position is less
       than 2 degrees from a zero point.

       So locations to find positioning information are:

       o      Good  starting  point  -  http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-
              loc/finding.html

       o      AirNav  - GPS  locations  for  airports around the
              world http://www.airnav.com/

       o      GeoCode   -    US    index     by     ZIP     Code
              http://www.geocode.com/eagle.html-ssi

       o      Map  Blast!  Canadian,  US and some European maps -
              http://www.mapblast.com/

       o      Australian       Database http://www.environ-
              ment.gov.au/database/MAN200R.html

       o      Canadian Database http://GeoNames.NRCan.gc.ca/

       o      GNU Timezone database, organized partially by coun-
              try /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab

       Remember that we are  after  reasonable  coordinates  for
       drawing  an  xearth  graph  and looking for people to sign
       keys, not for coordinates accurate enough to land an  ICBM
       on your doorstop!