>  Branden> Of course.  The obvious answer is that programs that have
>  Branden> some utility to unprivileged users should go in /bin (or
>  Branden> /usr/bin).
>
>       The problem with that is that it is all so very subjective,
>  and it all depends on the ``unprivileged user''. Under this tacit
>  policy, there is unlikely to be a solution that satisfies
>  anyone. Indeed, a more workable criteria may be to put things in sbin
>  that _require_ priviledges (things like mount, fsck, etc), and say
>  that sbin contains programs that are useless to the unpriviledged
>  user.
>
>       I think that would be way less controversial.

 Traceroute is not controversial. See... even licq comes configured by
default to call traceroute on other connected users. Traceroute is like
finger, it explores how another host is connected, it's like whois. It's a
site wide networking tool, like rwho or rwall. It has friendly user
interfaces, like mtr or xt.

 All these programs are in /usr/bin.