On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 04:44:37PM +0100, Koblinger Egmont wrote:
> Currently if more unconfigured packages are being configured, their
> ordered is determined by the Depends fields of the packages, however, the
> Essential field is not taken into account,

That's correct. As far as dpkg is concerned the Essential field just means
"do not remove this package".

> This behaviour is against the policy that AFAIK essential packages
> required by a certain package do not need to be explicitely mentioned in
> the Depends field.

That's also correct. This is achieved by ensuring that Essential: yes
packages don't need to be configured to be functional.

> On a dpkg based (but not Debian) system I have a script that builds up a
> chroot system:

You'll need to either specify dependencies explicitly, or do as Debian
does and ensure that Essential: yes packages work even without being
configured.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
        -- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda