Raphael Hertzog wrote:
Because Debian is all about cooperation and making the git repository
available is an essential step in the process. We currently use
alioth.debian.org for that purpose but it's not related to our standard
packaging process and the logic to go further is either the idea of Joey
(upload git repository as source) or someone in ftpmaster that implements
a direct connection between a git repository and incoming, so that we can
upload packages throught a git repository (and thus have a real canonical
git repository for a given package).

Connecting the git repository to the ftp archive is a good idea, but that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about packaging the git repository directly into the source archive, and I do not see any benefit to that. Why not keep the existing source ftp archive as is, but connect it with the git repo so that a change in the release branch of the git repo automatically generates the new source archive, rather than tar up the whole repo and make that the archive?