Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
Note that he was talking about the size of the working tree, not the git
repository.

The distribution tarball contains more than a checkout from dpkg's git
repository, though, since it does contains the files copied and/or
generated by autoreconf. However, this shouldn't really make a huge difference
in size.

Gruesse,

Exactly... it seemed to be an 8 MB difference though, which would account for why the git repo was smaller; it started with 8 MB less files. My point is that git doesn't magically make the same set of files plus their history smaller than just the original set of files.

When I poked around with du a bit it looks like the missing space in the git repo is mostly those .po files. Are these auto generated? If so, why are they included in the source package?