Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> What is wrong with excluding only scripts, those files begining with a
> shebang token? The test for this is easy and you still get errors for
> other files that objdump doesn't understand.

Yes, I wonder the same thing.  What would be the harm in making
dpkg-shlibdeps always ignore files starting with a #! line?

As a side-benefit when it runs, dpkg-shlibdeps can help detect files
that are unsuitable for a directory that should only contain
executables.  Scripts that contain a shebang line don’t fall into this
category.

But this is not too important: I could live with the version that
checks for an ELF signature.  For my intended use, all that is
important is that it ignores the shell scripts.

Sometimes it can take time to see things in perspective.  Sorry for my
stubbornness before, and thanks for being so patient.
Jonathan