Loïc Minier <l...@dooz.org> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>>  - readelf is tiny and works for all ELF targets.
>>    By contrast, multi-target objdump is large and its Debian package
>>    only supports the targets that were considered worth the trouble
>>    when it was last built.

>  I guess you mean binutils-multiarch here; I submitted a patch in Debian
>  #578365 to use a cross-objdump when cross-building.  I expect objdump
>  or cross-objdump should support the binaries which you're about to ship
>  in a .deb.  The only other case I can think of is when a package's
>  build calls a non-default (cross-)compiler to generate a specific file,
>  e.g. a firmware, in which case it might not be ELF at all.

For Lintian purposes, we've also found readelf to just generally be a much
nicer tool.  We have a lot of logic right now to patch around various
problems with objdump, such as inferior error reporting, and I hope to
eventually replace all that code with readelf, which always works the way
that I expect it to work.

This isn't a very persuasive argument for changing code that already
works, of course, but if you do extensive work around the code that uses
objdump, you may want to take a look at readelf.  It's quite nice.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>